1 a bunch of hair or feathers or growing grass [syn: tussock]
2 a bunch of feathers or hair
- Rhymes with: -ʌft
- A bunch of feathers, grass or hair, etc., held together at the base.
- A cluster of threads drawn tightly through upholstery, a mattress or a quilt, etc., to secure and strengthen the padding.
- A small clump of trees or bushes.
- In the context of "formerly": A gold tassel on the cap worn by titled undergraduates at English universities.
- A person entitled to wear such a tassel.
cluster of threads
clump of trees
- Dutch: bosje, bomengroep
person wearing the tassel
provide with tufts
form into tufts
- Dutch: bundelen
secure with tufts
be formed into tufts
A tuft is a strip of yarn or string of varying length taped or glued to a surface as a technique for flow visualization. Tufts have been commonly used in aeronautics to study air flow direction, strength, and boundary layer properties.
The world's largest bed of tufts (61 feet by 61 feet) was created at NASA Ames Research Center to study air flow fields involving a helicopter's rotor disk.
Vandyke, bang, bangs, batch, beard, beaver, bristles, bunch, clump, cluster, copse, crest, crop, down, feather, fetlock, fleck, flock, forelock, fringe, goatee, group, grouping, groupment, grove, growth, hackle, hassock, imperial, knot, lot, mess, panache, peach fuzz, pinion, plantation, planting, plume, plumule, quiff, quill, scapular, shock, side whiskers, slew, stand, stook, stubble, thicket, topknot, tussock, whiskers, wisp